Monday, November 14, 2011

In the Mountains, There You Feel Free

Hello Peoples,
Its Tuesday again in Telmar and its time for the Song of the Week!  

Pyramid Song-Radiohead

This week's Song of the Week, as shown above, is by Radiohead and is entitled Pyramid Song.  Its a really beautiful song and, as is becoming usual on this site, is set to footage of traveling.  I really love this song.  The lyrics:
I jumped in the river and what did I see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me
A moon full of stars and astral cars
All the things I used to see
All my lovers were there with me
All my past and futures
And we all went to heaven in a little row boat
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt

I jumped into the river
Black-eyed angels swam with me
A moon full of stars and astral cars
All the things I used to see
All my lovers were there with me
All my past and futures
And we all went to heaven in a little row boat
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt

There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt
There was nothing to fear and nothing to doubt

all about time, time passing, and everything spinning around in it remind me of T.S. Eliot, as everything seems to be reminding me these days.  In the section of Four Quartets, which I still have not gotten my fingers on by the way, Burnt Norton Eliot writes,

Time present and time past
Are both present in time future, 
And time future contained in time past,
If all time is eternally present
All time is irredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been 
Point to one end, which is always present.

You can't imagine the time I'm having with this passage.  I consider my mind officially blown.  Every time I feel that I've gotten my head around what Eliot is saying, I lose it and revert back to my original state of perpetual flummoxation? Flummoxity?..  Being flummoxed.  Perhaps reinforcing what Eliot has been saying to me all along?  Hmmm....

You will notice  one or two things if you sit down and watch this video. You may even notice a few things, but lets not get carried away.  The first thing that you may notice is that I like videoing from moving vehicles.  This may or may not be true. You may also notice that bus travel is boring. This is definitely true.  If you reach this conclusion, congratulate yourself and pat yourself on the back. This leads me to another point.  You may have  had the mistaken impression, as I once had, that the ipod was invented for your car stereo or your morning jog.  If so, you are wrong.  The ipod was invented for long, monotonous, commutes on busses.  With the ipod, I enjoy these trips.  Without the ipod...

The second thing you may notice is actually a set of things. One (1) there are a lot of walls. Walls without, walls within, and walls for the spaces in between.   Two (2) you can't make out the faces.  That is on purpose.  I'm sorry folks, I don't want to be creepy.  The impression that this creates however, seems to me to be fairly true to the foreigners experience in a new country. Welcome to life as an "alien in a foreign land."  This is life in Telmar through my eyes.  Telmar, where despite the beauty and the friendliness of the people surrounding you, you will find yourself alone.  Alone in a sea of humanity and unable to speak to anyone around you.  This is the big struggle right now.  I took it for granted, being able to make small talk with the cashier or person in line with me.  I don't take it for granted anymore.  But enough of that.  Enjoy the song and have a great week everyone.  Oh and if you can think of me while you sleep Friday, we have parent-teacher conferences so wish me luck and a safe journey through these coming perils.


1 comment:

  1. Wow... I really like the T.S. Eliot quote. It is quite mind blowing indeed. Thanks for posting so I could take a small break from reality and listen to some Radiohead. I enjoyed reminiscing about the times of old; when the coffee shop was a place of good music.

    ReplyDelete