Sunday, November 13, 2011

Marie, Marie, Hold On Tight

Hello Peoples,

I want you to look at the picture below and just try to tell me that it doesn't sound like an amazing place.
Yes, there is a place in the world called Batman.  I hope to visit there at some point in my life.  I don't expect loads of caped heroes walking around (at least in daylight) but all the same, I may be a little disappointed if there aren't any.  

I'd like to welcome you to the first installment of "A(n uncommon) Day in  the Life" where we will be highlighting the not so common days that Hazel and I actually get to go and sight see.  As these days aren't as common as you may think, hence the name, the posts about them won't be all that often.  I hope you enjoy it. 

Last week was two days long.  The previous weekend, by comparison, was 5 days long.  This is because last week was Kurban Bayram, the Holiday of Sacrifice.  Yes, there was sacriice.  Right there on the side of the road.  While we didn't participate in the more "cultural" moments of the holiday, it was nevertheless very nice to have the time off to catch a breath after our first quarter of school was completed. Mostly, Hazel and I rested in our apartment  (aka completely rearranged it) but we did do a little sight seeing.  Possibly the most exciting discovery was this....
...the Virgin Megastore right down the street from church!  Woo hoo!  I still couldn't find T.S. Eliot there though so it wasn't a complete success.  I've been on the hunt for any copy of T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets for the past few weeks and, perhaps unsurprisingly, I have come out empty handed.  

The more interesting thing, from your perspective, that we saw was perhaps the stronghold of Helm's Deep pictured below.
 
Ah, Helm's Deep.  It was a very pretty place, once we got past the french man insulting us from the top of the walls.  The Telmarines built this fortress and one like it across the Great River during their seige of Calormene in the 1500s.  It was erected in a manner of months, which considering how long its taken for the Occupy rallies to not accomplish anything (aside from TB that is), is quite an accomplishment.  
Above is a view of the Great River from Helm's Deep.  Before they were defeated. the local Galefreians (who were here before) built a large chain that stretched across the entire body of water seen, to keep the ships out.  Sections of this chain are now present at the fort as a sort of trophy.  Yes, I touched it. 


This is some guy, I don't know who, trying to look like he was calmly gazing out over the Great River, while he was actually shaking in his boots because of the dizzying heights and lack of railing on the steep, narrow stairways.  
This is the wall which overlooks the Great River.  You can see the Second Great River Bridge in the background.  Apparently it is not a good idea to stand on and look out over the edge.  Take it from me, Mr. Strange, the guards don't really approve of that.  


Would you believe that the area of the fort pictured above is, I think, the most nature I have seen since I've been here?  Last but not least is the picture below.  


If I'm not mistaken, thinking that he was going to his doom, Theoden King rode forth from that very door to ride down upon the orcs in Helm's Deep. Yes, I have seen where history happened. 






5 comments:

  1. That guy looks very calm. Did you see any descendants of the Galefreians? I'd be interested in that. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not. I did see a police box the other day though, but it wasn't blue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the picture of the hipster.
    Helm's Deep looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He doesn't look like a hipster to me. To me he looks like a valuable and productive member of society. A regular square if there ever was one.

    ReplyDelete