Friday, January 20, 2012

In My Beginning is My End

Hello Peoples,


It is 9:00 on this Saturday morning and I have just reached that state of caffeinated bliss that can only happen on a lazy rainy Saturday morning.  During the week, my coffee is a necessary commodity, but on weekends...Ahhh its wonderful.  I decided last week to do something that I have always sworn I would never attempt.  I decided to cut-back on my coffee intake. I woke up Sunday determined and then on Monday firm in my decision that cutting back had been a really bad idea.  So here I sit, sipping coffee and writing yet another blog post to be set loose unread in cyber space.  With any luck the U.S. Government will decide that it is unfit for reading and shut it down sans due process.  


Very recently I have determined two things which are absolutely essential for a proper study of sociology.   1) a hefty collection of punk rock songs and trivia to pull out of one's magic hat of uselessness and 2) an equally hefty collection of 1950s U.S. Government issue educational films and propaganda.  Have you ever watched these?  Seriously? Just see below for an idea.




 These are incredible.  I'm kind of obsessed with them at the moment.  From U.S. propaganda about Soviet propaganda, to a description of the rigid class structure of the U.S., to an amazing Disney short on Hitler, these films are indispensable!  Perhaps my favorite contains the quote, "Even the Soviets have social classes!"  Yes, apparently the Soviets are people too.  Who would have ever dreamed such a thing?  Another deals with "Women in the Work Place" and contains the line, "Jim thought the problem would just go away, but thats because he wasn't used to working with women." or the even better, "Joe comes from a lower class family.  Someday he may even rise to be an automechanic!"  Wow.  I could go on, but I think you get the idea, and in answer to your question, Yes I do show these in class. A Lot.  We just finished our 2 week study of gender stratification and thanks to Big Brother I had a different enlightening video to show every day! 


Recently I had a bit of a panic attack about the fact that we are going to have a baby.  It just hit me all at once that I'm now responsible for this little life and its up to me to raise him or her to love and respect God and, well lets face it, thats a big responsibility.  I know there's grace and no one is perfect etc, but it really scared me.  So what did I do?  What any self respecting member of the Millenial Generation would do.  I Googled it.  I found this great website with some lite, but helpful tips that made me feel a lot better.  After reading through and deciding that I did feel better I went to the kitchen to make a sandwich.  Five minutes later I heard Hazel, "What are you looking at on the computer?"  I went in and explained that I had a panic etc and found this website  etc to which she replied, "But why are you looking at this website???"  I looked, and I had been reading RaisingGodlyMormons.org.  
Don't hold your breath that his kid has any hope of normality.





No comments:

Post a Comment