Wednesday, June 20, 2012

For the Love of Cake

-Hazel

Some things are different here and take some time to get used to. Such as baking.  I like to bake. I am not particularly good at it but I enjoy the results so I make a valiant effort now and then.  For Mr. Strange's birthday I particularly wanted his red velvet cake to come out well because the one other time I made it, it was a flop.  I realized while getting ready to make the cake just how accustomed I have become to making things work here.  It is a multistep process that I thought I could bore you with today.  Complete with a picture below of what it takes (at least for me) to accomplish it.


Step One: Computer: Find a recipe online. I only have 2 cookbooks here because they took up space and weight in our luggage.  And the Pioneer Woman recipes are the best.  

Step Two: Black notebook: Write the recipe down.  I have a fear I will set the computer on fire or drown it if I have it on the countertop and we do not have a printer (although this is changing this weekend woohoo!).

Step Three: Solid red cookbook: This cookbook is the hugest blessing.  It was written by foreigners like us cooking in Telmar.  It has ingredient substitutions, measurement conversions, hints etc.  I translate my recipe into grams, write down the ingredient substitutions, oven temp, name of ingredients in the language etc. The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook helps with this too.

Step Four: Finally walk to the grocery store hoping that I have written enough info down to find the ingredients I need and the right amounts.  I also try to desperately remember not to buy a lot because whatever I buy, either I or Mr. Strange will have to carry.

Step Five: Just try to bake and remember that things do not have to be perfect, everything is a learning experience and to have fun.  Every now and then you need up with a great cake feeling very accomplished.  And tired. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment