Monday, June 25, 2012

White Light White Heat and Lack of Air Conditioning Part Two (Pictures)

-Hazel
As Mr. Strange has mentioned, we are learning ways to cope this summer with the heat.  My current methods of coping are; a steady supply of apple juice popsicles, a huge ice pack, and sitting in front of any and all fans.  You know life is interesting when you have to suppress the desire to squeal with happiness when you find an aisle of the grocery store that has fans plugged in to demonstrate how well they work. And you proceed to evaluate each one...extensively, and could possibly stayed there all day.

This summer has even done what no one who knows me could ever believe possible.  Turned me into a morning person.  A morning person! Of course my definition of morning is anything around 7 or 8, but still, that is huge for me! I am awake at 7 or 8 ready to go because I know by 3 or 4 I would prefer to be napping in front of a fan, lying on an ice pack, and pretending that it isn't the hottest part of the day.  Mr. Strange has been great helping me adjust by making our apartment as cool as possible with fans etc. but you cannot hide out forever away from the heat, especially since we have a limited time to explore before my current..ahem...generous state of pregnancy makes exploring rather difficult.

Hence the quest for the mysterious, cheap, and long ferry ride on Saturday morning.  I have a new appreciation of ferries. Someone very thoughtfully designed them so that you can ride in the open on the top, enjoying the wind but still under shade if you wish. 

This is a picture of the little town the ferry departed from.  


This is a picture of the same area, just closer up, so you can see some of the locals having breakfast and some of the fishermen preparing to go out fishing.


There is a pretty huge gap between many of the well to do and not so well off people in the city.  Many wealthy people live on the water so we saw many extravagant things such as pools by the water, yachts and even a personal lift from the water up a steep hill to someone's house (if you look closely at the second picture below you can see the lift)! 


Mr. Strange looking pensive with many yachts in the background.

Sometimes the boats pass very close to one another.  I actually enjoy it when we go through the wake of another boat, it makes a fun ride.
This is a fort that you may have seen photos of already on the blog but this was the first time we have seen it from the water and it was impressive and beautiful.  Definitely my favorite historical place in the city. I don't want to climb the stairs in my current state so it was wonderful to see it from a different angle.
We rode the ferry for the entire hour-long route and then we were riding it back when I needed a bathroom pit stop so we stopped at the coolest Starbucks in the city. The bottom  floor of the Starbucks was on the water and the inside was made of stone and had amazing air conditioning.  We read for awhile out on the terrace.
This cute little bird came to visit.

we proceeded to watch it steal the seeds off a guy's bagel.
All in all it was a successful quest for cheap and cool exploration of the city.  And we made it back by one o'clock in time for my nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment